Saturday, August 14, 2010

Where to?

Last I checked, Dallas had over 2 million citizens. According to the city’s website, we have over 27,000 residents within a one mile radius of our house, yet, I feel so alone in our quest. There are some out there, no doubt, who share our values, but by and far we are missing a sense of common drive with out neighbors.


I checked out the other day and my milk was placed in a bag and given to me before I could ask them not to. That may be a force of habit, a directive by the supermarket, or just the fact that nobody asks them not to do that. Point is, they obviously don’t subscribe to Carrie’s philosophy on do’s and don’ts of using bags. I look out the window and see six lanes of traffic. Hampton Rd. must carry tens of thousands of people over the course of the day moving to and fro in their cars. Seldom do I see a bicycle.


I’m obviously longing for a time when neighbors knew each other and took care of each other. Building a house was a community affair and “going into town” consisted of a day trip each way. Where are the people we are supposed to lean on during the hard times and celebrate with in the good? Where is my community?

No comments:

Post a Comment