Just a few of the things we've done to try and lessen our impact on the planet since about January 2010:
- Install two rainbarrels
- Install a few raised beds to try and grow some of our own food
- Compost anything and everything in sight except meat and dairy
- Greatly reduce the amount of meat we consume (less than once per week)
- Purchase three hens to supply our eggs (three isn't cutting it & we'll probably get a few more in Spring 2011) [Editor's note: OK> couldn't wait until spring! Purchased 13(!) more in early January 2011, detailed here, with building a larger coop detailed here; then purchased 26 more in early February - no, we're not insane! Decided we wanted full sized hens, not bantams - will end up selling many and our final count come summer 2011 should be about 16].
- Put the fact that Carrie enjoys cooking to work for us - making much of the food we consume from scratch
- Start walking and biking more to complete our daily local errands, and if we must drive, combine trips to the greatest extent possible
- Start gleaning food and reusing others castoffs in order to keep things out of the landfill - and lighten the impact on our wallets!
- Install and use a whole house fan during summer - only turn A/C on when it gets over 90 in the house, and even then it is turned on to 86
- Keep heat at 65 or below during the winter
- Get rid of over 1,000 square feet of crap and move to a much smaller house
- Stop using plastic bags as much as possible and only use cloth
- Install a drought tolerant landscape in our front yard that only requires once or twice a year of supplemental water
If you have any questions, comments, or ideas for posts, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We'd love to hear from you!
Thanks for taking the time to peruse our site. We hope you enjoy it!
-Jason & Carrie Lackey