Saturday, January 22, 2011

My New Tiffin

Inspired by Annette over at ComoHomestead back in November, I embarked in December on finding myself a tiffin to purchase inexpensively. I first learned of the tiffin from Sheri at the sadly now defunct Green & Crunchy blog. A stainless steel lunch box of sorts, tiffins allow for food storage without the usual waste associated with the more "traditional" plastic bags everyone uses for school lunches.


I scored a new one from To-Go Ware (with tags still attached) off ebay. My total cost came to just under $13 (includes shipping) - and this thing will last forever. You can purchase the exact one I did directly from the company here but it will cost you about $30 including shipping. My plan is to use this on days that I have to go to school. -Carrie

Note: I used this on Wednesday for the first time. Speaking from experience, if you aren't prepared to talk to new people - don't use a tiffin! I can't tell you how many people came up to me at the local community college asking me "what in the world is THAT thing?". Most people thought it was some type of coffee/tea holder. When I told them, many people gave me the face of, "OK, weird green-girl" but a few seemed genuinely interested when I told them how it totally elimates the need for plastic. Got to start somewhere, right?

1 comment:

  1. Yeah! We get to see the new tiffin!

    Ha! I know what you mean about the interactions. I get some looks of suspicion from security guards at the bus terminals and other locations when I carry my tiffin. I'm afraid one of them might think its is a bomb, with how freaked-out folks are these day about that type of thing.

    I like that your tiffin came with the small container for sauces, dressings, etc.

    Check out the blog Vegan Lunch Box for tiffin-friendly ideas: http://veganlunchbox.blogspot.com/.

    ReplyDelete