Thursday, September 9, 2010

She loves those birds

Hurricane Hermine came through Dallas today with little more than lots of heavy rain. Because we live on a major street, 2 years ago our front lawn was taken out and we installed a lot of decomposed granite to drive and park on. The material, for those who are not familiar, is easy to manipulate by raking and shaping. The top layer we put on a couple of weeks ago left puddles in my front yard, and since the conditions were right, I decided to go out in the rain to adjust the grade of the front parking.

30 minutes later, task done. Time to go in. Wait. We haven't paid much attention to the chickens since they are on the far side of the lawn and it's been raining for two days straight. "Hon, can you give me a couple of apples to toss to the chickens before I come in?"

"Should I cut them?"

"Sure, why not." What's another 20 seconds when you're already soaked.

Two minutes later... nothing.

Four minutes later... What's taking her so long? It's wet out here.

Another minute or two passes... "I'll have it right out."

Taking a peek inside, she's slicing and dicing, seasoning, sauteing, mixing, and fixing a meal fit for the queens... while I wait in the rain. Nothing's too good for our little egg layers. She loves those birds. -Jason

1 comment:

  1. Haha! I guess this will teach me to NOT go to bed before him. Who knows what he will write while I'm sleeping? :) In my defense Jason had been out there for a really long time (of his own accord, mind you) and he never mentioned that he finished and "oh, yeah, throw me an apple." I thought he was still working while I made up the food. I couldn't very well give the chicks pellet feed because it would have turned to mush in a matter of seconds. I had no other choice but to mix up a little something for them! And there was absolutely no seasoning OR sauteing involved! Everything else I can't really deny ;) -Carrie

    ReplyDelete