Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Homemade...Golden Carrot Muffins

My three year old is a picky eater. And I mean P-I-C-K-Y. I have fallen into the horrendous habit of quickly putting something together for him that differs from what the rest of the family is having. I am completely aware that this makes me a horrible mother. But some nights I just can't stand the whining, so I give in before it has even started. That's why I was so happy to find a healthy muffin recipe a few weeks ago. The whole family loves these (including food-hater-boy!). They taste great with a slight amount of cream cheese, too!


I got this recipe from Annette over at CoMo Homestead. You can view the original recipe here. And my slightly tweaked version, below:

Golden Carrot Muffins

Makes 12 muffins

  • 1 1/2 cups packed finely shredded carrots
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
  • 1/4 cup orange juice
  • 1/4 cup golden and 1/4 cup regular raisins
  • 2 T canola oil
  • 1 T coconut oil
  • 1 T butternut squash puree
  • 1 T no-sugar-added applesauce
  • 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
  • 1 t baking powder
  • 1 t baking soda
  • 2 t ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 t salt
  1. Preheat oven to 400F. Lightly spray a muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray.
  2. Wash carrots and shred in food processor or with grater.
  3. In large bowl, mix all the wet ingredients (first 9).
  4. Add the dry ingredients (last 5). Mix just until the dry ingredients are moistened.
  5. Spoon muffin batter into muffin tin and bake for around 17-20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean when inserted into center of muffin.
  6. Allow muffins to cool before serving.
I reduced the sugar (syrup) component, and reduced the canola oil from 5T to only 2T - but didn't lose any of the awesome moistness since I added in the coconut oil, squash, and applesauce. As I write this post I realize I probably could have reduced the eggs from 2 to 1 & 1 egg white. Additionally, pecans would give a great nutty flavor. Give these muffins a try. They are sure to be a crowd pleaser, and your little veggie-scoffers won't be the wiser! -Carrie

3 comments:

  1. Wow Carrie, what a way to eat one's veggies, as muffins! I make a lot of muffins for Dan to take when he's out on the road. I'll definitely have to try these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I'm so glad these worked out for you. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What Pigs Don't KnowNovember 3, 2010 at 10:59 AM

    Leigh - They freeze really well, so that could be a bonus for Dan. Take a few out before a trip & they will defrost while he's driving.

    Annette - No problem! Thanks for the recipe. It's a keeper for sure!

    ReplyDelete