Saturday, November 6, 2010

WARNING: If You Don't Like Chicken Poop...Don't Scroll Down!

OK, so is there anyone out there who really likes chicken poop? I doubt it, but I need some advice from those of you with more experience on the chicken poop front. For the past few weeks our Barred Rock (and newest layer) has been having some runny poops. Her once poofy back side now has runny droppings on it at all times. Not horrendous, but enough to notice. This morning I came out to clean off their "poop board" as we affectionately call it, and came upon this unpleasant sight:


Three piles of poop (as usual), with the most southerly being the most disturbing. There is a mess of stuff going on there that I can't even begin to work through. You can even click on the picture for a larger view if you are so inclined! Any thoughts? Does she have some bug? Does she need medicine? I don't see any worms or anything in there. She didn't eat anything out of the ordinary yesterday (that I know of), but this is the first time since we purchased them 6 months ago that I've come across something this messy and variable. On a possibly related note, her egg production has declined sharply in the last few weeks, where as our Black Sex Link is still going strong. Your expertise is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance! -Carrie

2 comments:

  1. Carrie, I'm not real experienced with this either. However, Robin, over at Farm Folly, had this problem awhile back and used garlic according to the directions in Backyard Poultry magazine. Here post with instructions is here. I tried it once for runny chicken poops and it worked for me too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What Pigs Don't KnowNovember 7, 2010 at 1:29 PM

    Leigh - Thanks for reminding me about this. I remember you doing something with garlic a while back. I'm going to check out Farm Folly tonight & do the treatment tomorrow. Thanks again! -Carrie

    ReplyDelete